Saturday, November 21, 2009

Holding my breath...

The boys arrived just after midnight our time. I got a wonderful text that stated they were in customs. With our verizon international plan, we tested a text and it is taking about 20 minutes to arrive to and from, give or take a few. This may have been because he was in line at customs and in the airport. Phone service has been little sketchy. We purchased a verizon wireless plan, but it is difficult to hear at times. I'm anxious to call the Union number later and have him paged. This is also a little cheaper than our phone plan... but he won't be in the comfort of our room with our little man. E-mail works great thus far! Crazy...my husband is in Africa. So surreal!

They were excited to be on the ground and to meet another family. They are both very tired, as neither have slept a minute.

I must say that so far I see my purpose of staying...I really see it. However, I'm sad at the same time. I didn't sleep a wink as I obsessivly calculated Addis time and what he may be doing. I'm glad he gets this experience, but miss experiencing this with my best friend. Yes...I'm going with our son and our entire family of 6 (wow) and that keeps me going, but for the here and now...I'm holding my breath until they get back. I've sent a list of questions for him to "check out" the baby...such as does he sit up, has his hair grown, does he have teeth?...I can't wait for answers. I can't wait to hold my two traveling boys, but really don't wish their trip away at all. Good things come to those who wait, right?

Here is a pleasant note to leave you with.

"Well, we are here!! It was a long flight and i have had no sleep atall. Right now it is saturday at noon, at home it is about 2 in themorning....so I am pretty tired. Aaron and I got up DC at about 5:45am to catch our flight and I have been up ever since. Just got to thehotel and trying to relax. I meet with Almaz at 1:00 pmtomorrow,sunday then go to HH. I do not get to meet his mother. Twofamilies however are very lucky to get the opportunity. Remind me totell you about the drive from the airport, holy cow was thatcrazy.apparently stop sighns mean nothing here. There are people absolutelyeverywere and donkeys, cows, bulls, and goats meandering in thestreets...a different world. I amjust trying to take it all so I canexplain to our son the sights and sounds. Uncle Aaron couldn't sitstill. we have been here at the hotel for one hour and he just haileda taxi, exchanged money, and is heading to the National EthiopianMuseum as I type... he has guts...I stayed backto get prepared fortomorrow. I miss you so much...and the kids...it has been only acouple of days, but I know why I am here and i can't wait to get our boy tomorrow. with love"

Last night as I lay awake...I couldn't shake this feeling of holding my breath. I realized I've been doing this for a year...as if reminding myself "manually" to breathe. I can't wait to exhale.

4 comments:

milreb said...

Oh Audrey, between the song and Brian's text, you got me all teared up! Thanks for letting the rest of us walk through this blessed week with you guys. I can't WAIT for the next 2 days!!!

A&W said...

I am teary for you, and your story unfolding- its beautiful!! I hold my breath, too, for you to have more info about the trip. You are there, your heart is there...

Brian and Heather said...

I feel like I'm holding my breath right along with you. What precious notes/texts you'll have to document this part of your son's life. This is so amazing. Thank you for posting. Can't wait for the next update... =) Hugs, tears, and love from NC

Chris and Jana said...

we saved all of our texts back and forth...kind of a neat way to document the journey and our emotions! we will keep praying for you guys!!! you are doing great!!!